CP12 Gas Safety Certificate

Get a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12) for your rental property in London

  • Prices start from £86 + Vat
  • Certified member of Gas Safe Register, UK
  • We'll attend, assess and diagnose all your gas
    appliances additional information
Serviceteam Club

Frequently Asked Question

Q: What is a CP12 certificate?

A: CP12 certificate stands for CORGI Proforma 12. It was named when CORGI were the authorised body for gas safety. Nowadays the authority is the Gas Safe Register, with the certificate renamed and referred to as a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate. A CP12 certificate is a legal document and compulsory for all landlords, as it confirms the safety of all the gas appliances in a property.

Q: How long does it take for the certificate to arrive?

A: Once the engineer has completed the inspection, you will receive the certificate via email, usually within 48 hours (slightly longer if completed over a weekend). However, the inspection can sometimes be done on the same day** (subject to the time of day the request is received).

Q: What is the validity period of a gas safety certificate CP12?

A: A gas safety certificate is valid for 12 months. The validity starts when the certificate is provided and not when the inspection is done. Therefore, call serviceteam to arrange an inspection in-advance before the certificate expires. Should the gas appliance/s comply with regulations a new certificate will be issued for the next 12 months. You will be notified if there are any failures, and supplied with a quotation for all corrective works.

Q: What is the time required for checking the appliances?

A: Usually it takes about 30 to 40 minutes. However, it depends on the number of gas appliances in the property.

Read More

Q: What to do if there is a safety issue?

A: If a gas appliance is faulty, our Gas Safety engineer will give advice immediately (if the resident is on site) or via email. The engineer will inform you if the appliance can be repaired or not. If repairing is not an option due to its poor condition, it maybe deemed ‘Immediately Dangerous’ and removed from service until it can be rectified or replaced. Continuing to use an appliance deemed as ID, can have serious consequences if it results in an accident.

Q: What type of assessments are carried out during a gas safety inspection?

  • A gas tightness test on all appliances.
  • Burner pressure to ensure it complies with the manufacturer's data plate.
  • A flue tested to check if the combustion products are being removed properly.
  • Safety devices of all the appliances.
  • Physical condition of all the gas appliances i.e., joints, seals etc.

The landlord will be informed immediately in the event of any failures, with recommendations.

Q: What happens if you don't have a Gas Safety Certificate?

A: If you rent a property without a valid gas safety certificate, you might face a substantial fine or possible imprisonment should a gas related accident occurs on your watch.

Q: Who can issue a gas safety certificate?

A: Engineers or companies registered with Gas Safe can issue a Gas Safety Certificate. To confirm if someone is Gas Safe registered, simply ask to see their Gas Safe registration card (before work commences). This will have an unique number on it and a photo ID. Go to the Gas Safe register website and check their credentials. Type in their unique ID card number. This should bring up the engineer’s details. If you are satisfied that they are a bone fide registered engineer or company then proceed with the works. If they are not, DO NOT use them.

Q: Do you need a Gas Safety Certificate as a homeowner?

A: It is not a legal requirement. Although, we do recommend an annual boiler service and Gas safety check to ensure the safety of your family.

Q: What are the other types of Gas Safety Certificates issued?

A: The CP42 Certificate is specifically designed for commercial kitchens and catering establishments. Such as industrial cooking, restaurants, school kitchens, etc. You will need a CP15 Certificate for floor standing or wall hung boilers.