If you own a property or a home in London with a gas boiler, you know how crucial it is to have it serviced regularly. A well-maintained gas boiler not only improves its energy efficiency but also ensures the safety of your property and family. In this blog post, we will provide you with a complete guide to gas boiler services in London, including what they involve, the benefits of regular servicing, and how to find the right service provider.
What is Gas Boiler Service?
A gas boiler service is a thorough inspection which involves a set of boiler checks conducted by a professional gas engineer. The engineer will conduct several tests to check the effectiveness and safety of the boiler. Some everyday tasks that the engineer will undertake include checking the boiler pressure, examining the flue, cleaning the components, and checking for leaks or faults.
Is Gas Boiler Service a Legal Requirement For Landlords?
This means a qualified gas-safe engineer must conduct an annual boiler service.
In terms of gas safety, landlords are responsible for:
- Regular maintenance of all gas boilers throughout the tenancy.
- Arranging an annual boiler check.
- Inspecting pipes, flues, and gas boilers thoroughly before a new tenant moves in.
- Keep a detailed record of all checks and schedule annual services.
- Ensuring gas safety is crucial for protecting both your tenants and your property.
Why Is Regular Gas Boiler Service Important?
Regular gas boiler service is essential to the longevity of the boiler, its energy efficiency, and the safety of your property.
It Keeps Your Family and Tenants Safer
Regular boiler service helps identify and address potential issues, ensuring your home is free from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Detecting problems early prevents serious health risks.
You Can Enjoy Warranty Benefits
Keep your boiler warranty intact by scheduling regular services. If your boiler is over 10 years old or hasn't been serviced consistently, our GasSafe engineers can enhance its safety, energy efficiency, and effectiveness.
A boiler service ensures efficiency, leading to long-term cost savings by minimising energy consumption. Fixing minor issues beforehand avoids major repair bills and keeps your utility bills in check.
Landlords are required by the Landlord and Tenant Act (1985) to ensure that the boiler is serviced and safe for continued use.
Regular servicing prevents major breakdowns, extending the lifespan of your boiler. Investing in maintenance is more economical than facing the cost of replacing a poorly maintained boiler.
Regular boiler service is crucial for the well-being of elderly or vulnerable individuals. Avoiding a boiler breakdown not only ensures their comfort but also helps manage potential health ramifications. Early detection of issues is more cost-effective and manageable for them.
How Often Should You Service Your Gas Boiler?
Every 12 months.
Most boiler manufacturers recommend that you service your gas boiler every year. However, older or more complex boilers may require service more frequently. Moreover, if you notice any unusual noises or smells coming from your boiler, it's best to call a professional immediately to avoid any hazardous situations.
When Should You Service Your Gas Boiler?
If it has been 12 months since your last boiler service
[A Practical Guide]
Keep a keen eye on the calendar, ensuring you schedule a boiler service every 12 months. This proactive approach helps maintain the efficiency and reliability of your heating system.If you’ve recently moved out
If you've recently moved into a new home without a documented service history for the boiler, it's wise to err on the side of caution. Schedule a service promptly to ensure your heating system is in top condition.If your boiler lacks efficiency
Even if you've adhered to your annual service routine, a decline in boiler efficiency may signal underlying issues. If you observe problems like insufficient heating, suspect a gas leak, or notice a spike in energy bills, it's time for a service to identify and rectify any issues.
By staying vigilant and addressing these key moments, you can ensure your gas boiler operates optimally throughout the year.
Who Should Service a Gas Boiler?
By law, a Gas Safe registered engineer must conduct an annual check on gas appliances and flues to ensure their safety and proper functioning.
Book a Serviceteam Gas Safe Engineer Today!
How Much Does Gas Boiler Service Cost?
The average cost for boiler servicing in the UK is typically between £120 and £130, including VAT. The cost depends on the type of boiler you have.
What Is Included In a Gas Boiler Service?
Your gas-safe engineer will inspect the following:
- Visual check - The boiler engineer will visually inspect your boiler for any signs of leaks or corrosion.
- Pilot check - For older boilers, our engineer will examine the colour of the pilot light. This check ensures that your boiler is burning fuel efficiently, as incomplete combustion can pose a safety risk.
- Gas pressure - Review gas pressure and flow settings, making adjustments if necessary.
- Check and clean internal parts - Like the spark probe, main injector, heat exchanger, burner, and safety devices.
- Flue terminals check - For safety, ensure they are unblocked and properly sealed.
- Pipework check - Examine water and gas pipework for wear and tear. Ensure the condensate trap and pipe are free from blockages.
- Safety check - Verify the functionality of safety devices.
- Electrical components - Examine clean and well-maintained electrical connections.
- Operation & controls check-up - To ensure proper functioning and temperature control.
To know more, read our complete blog about what is covered in a boiler service.
What Signs Indicate That Your Boiler Needs Servicing?
- You’ve Forgotten The Last Service Date: If you can't recall the last time your boiler was serviced, it likely needs maintenance. A visit from a heating engineer can address potential issues.
- Boiler Has Clogged Filters: Blocked filters signal the need for a boiler service. Engineers can clean or replace filters during a service, preventing potential breakdowns.
- Boiler Energy is Decreasing: If your monthly energy bills are higher than usual, it indicates your boiler is inefficient. A service can improve efficiency and save on energy costs.
- It heats up Slowly: If your central heating system takes longer than usual to warm up, it may indicate a faulty boiler that requires servicing.
- It Has Operating Issues: Uneven heating in different parts of your home may point to thermostat problems, blockages, or boiler issues, all of which can be addressed with a service.
- Boiler Is Making Unusual Noises: Clanking or hissing sounds may indicate rust, corrosion, or debris build-up. A service can clean the system and prevent costly repairs.
- Boiler Is Old: An older boiler may need more frequent servicing to avoid complete breakdowns.
- Failing to Reach Right Temperature: If your boiler consistently fails to reach the desired temperature, a qualified engineer should assess the issue and replace any faulty parts.
Are You Planning to Get a Gas Boiler Cover?
Well, Insurance coverage for boilers and central heating systems varies among insurance companies. On average, a gas boiler service by a qualified Gas Safe engineer costs around £80-£90 + VAT in the industry.
If your boiler is newly installed, the manufacturer requires annual servicing to validate the warranty. Failure to maintain a continuous service history could invalidate the warranty, making repair costs your responsibility.
Opting for a "pay as you go" approach puts you in control of your expenses.
How to Find the Right Service Provider?
Choosing the right gas boiler service provider in London can be daunting, but finding a reputable and professional company is crucial.
Look for a company registered with the Gas Safe Register, which means they meet the necessary safety requirements. Also, read reviews on trusted platforms such as Checkatrade, Trustpilot and WHICH? Trusted and ask for recommendations from neighbours, friends or family.
Serviceteam stands out for offering the most comprehensive gas boiler service in London.
Why Choose Serviceteam?
- Safety and Warmth: We prioritise your safety and ensure your home stays warm.
- Transparent Quote: Our fixed pricing starts at £95 + VAT when booked in advance online.
- Work Guarantee: You can save money with our guaranteed boiler service and high-quality work.
- 24/7 Emergency Service: We offer 24/7 boiler services, including holidays and cold days.
- Trustworthy and Reliable: We maintain transparency throughout our communication, quoting process, and work, ensuring clarity from beginning to end.
- Experienced and Qualified: As an accredited service provider for Worcester Bosch and Vaillant, our fully qualified and Gas Safe registered engineers guarantee expert handling of your boiler service.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our service desk or book a Serviceteam engineer today for a hassle-free winter with your family and loved ones.